Fractured Facade


"A fathers death...a daughter's life...a sociopath's vendetta...FRACTURED FACADE ...a novel written as memoir. Only $3.99 and available wherever eBooks are sold. Click here for direct link to Amazon.

FREE!!!

THE VALENTINE'S DAY CURSE -- A Short Story, Free everywhere...except on Amazon (boo! hiss!) where it's $.99 to buy! Click here for direct link! Let them know it's free at these stores and they may price match it! Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Apple Books...more to come.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Geese on the Greenway

It was great to get outdoors and back on the trails over the weekend. I revisited the greenway in Salem along the Roanoke River to see how much progress they've made reconstructing the path that was demolished during the floods.



Not much has been done since the above picture was taken. They did remove those pieces of asphalt but haven't replaced them, so it's just a dirty mud path, and the greenway has not extended from where it was two months ago. I'm assuming it's because the weather has been less than cooperative.

I was surprised to see how busy the trail was, and not by humans. It seems the area has been taken over by geese. Awwww, aren't they cute?



I have no idea where they have come from. In the past I've seen ducks and a heron but never a goose there. Do geese migrate? Were they on their way somewhere but got snowed in? These are big geese, many, many, many big geese. These geese scare me.

When I parked my car at the beginning of the greenway in the park a couple of the geese started heading towards me, extending their huge wings and barking. I thought they were going to attack me so I ran. As I was running I started slipping and sliding, not because of ice remnants but because of goose shit everywhere. Have you ever seen goose shit? It looks nothing like bird shit. It's like dog shit only it's green.



It stinks too, and when I say it's everywhere, I mean everywhere. I couldn't even walk along the path to the greenway from 419 without stepping in it. It is nasty. I didn't have my camera with me so these shots were taken with my phone, no zooming, which does not do them justice.

I don't think I'm going to be walking along the river again until the geese and their shit is gone. I gotta tell ya, maybe from far away as you're driving past them goose look cute, but one-on-one, not so much. I imagine a lot of folks will feel the same way I do once they experience them up close and personal. I hope the geese appreciate the greenway (how ironic is that name now?) since they may be the only ones using it...

No comments:

Post a Comment