Portia Sisco, whose blog tag line is "Thoughts on writing, the paranormal, and anything else that goes bump in the night", (so how could I not enjoy it?) was kind enough to bestow upon me the Honest Scrap Award.
Thanks! But there's a caveat in accepting this badge of honor...I have to reveal ten things about myself. Only ten? I guess I'll work my way up in the years starting with...
1. I was born in Bensonhurst which is the coolest neighborhood in Brooklyn.
2. I bought my first pack of cigarettes when I was 5 years old. The guy behind the counter at the luncheonette passed me a pack of real Marlboros when all I wanted was candy cigarettes. See how cool Bensonhurst is? Naturally I couldn't just throw them away so I tried one. I don't remember how it tasted but Marlboro was my choice for 35 years. I quit cold turkey and don't even long for it anymore.
3. I smoked my first cigar at 10 years old. My father, who didn't smoke except for the occasional cigar that someone would give him, lit it up for me. I didn't choke, and sat with him smoking it while watching the New York Mets play. I still enjoy a fine cigar now and then as long as it's accompanied with a sifter of brandy.
4. The show "Welcome Back Kotter" was supposed to take place at the high school I attended. At the beginning of the opening credits there are three girls standing in the cold on the corner. I think that's me and two of my friends.
5. I used to sing in a punk rock band called "Shortwave." Now I play drums in Rockband because my kids will not let me sing. They say I make their ears bleed.
6. Most of my jobs were media related and I think I covered every avenue. Some places I've worked: Warner Books, Universal Pictures, Radio Advertising Bureau, LBS Communications, ABC News, The Roanoke Times. I liked working in television best.
7. I've been married three times. The first was to a musician/key grip. The second to a musician/Danish author. The third to an auto mechanic/woodworker. Besides having two great kids and an auto repair business together I don't have as much "in common" with #3 as I did the first two losers. Since we're still together after 20 years that seems to actually be a good thing.
8. I moved to Roanoke 15 years ago to give my kids a better life. I don't regret it, because the kids flourished here, but not a day goes by that I don't long for New York, the city, the people, the food, the vibe. I still feel like a square peg in a round hole here.
9. I miss my father terribly. He died under mysterious circumstances two years ago and his death was the catalyst for my first book, a memoir entitled, "Oblivious" which is undergoing the third revision. I'm almost there.
10. Any time I've met a medium or a psychic they tell me I'm a medium or psychic, (yes I do know who is on the phone before I pick it up and no it's not because of caller id) which may also explain why every apartment and house I have ever lived in was "haunted." The paranormal book I was researching was supposed to be my "first book" but due to circumstances beyond my control has been put "on hold." I also enjoy going on paranormal investigations.
Well there ya go...ten things you now know about me...I could go on and on and on, but I'll spare you. Although there are many blogs that I would pass this award onto there's one guy who is the epitome of Honest Scrap...A Fistful of Donuts blog...Krispy, this award's for you!