Fractured Facade


"A fathers death...a daughter's life...a sociopath's vendetta...FRACTURED FACADE ...a novel written as memoir. Only $3.99 and available wherever eBooks are sold. Click here for direct link to Amazon.

FREE!!!

THE VALENTINE'S DAY CURSE -- A Short Story, Free everywhere...except on Amazon (boo! hiss!) where it's $.99 to buy! Click here for direct link! Let them know it's free at these stores and they may price match it! Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Apple Books...more to come.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Saturday Scores

Today was the second year I've been to the Roanoke Civic Center's holiday flea market. Both times I've been pretty lucky. There were a couple of items that I told myself to be on the lookout for, and I actually found two.

The first one is what my daughter considers the ultimate Christmas movie, Elf.


I don't know why we didn't already have a dvd of this movie...ummm, maybe because it's on as much as "A Christmas Story" is. The girl was quite happy with this $2 find. The second was a woodworking tool. I don't know what it is, but it looks old and has something to do with wood, so I figure my husband would like it, so I bought it for $5. But the best finds were musical ones.

I found the original 45's of Elvis Presley's "Blue Suede Shoes/Tutti Frutti" and "Guitar Man/Faded Love" for $3!


For another $3 I bought these LP's-- First is a signed copy of "20 Bluegrass Originals Instrumentals."


I happen to like bluegrass, but am not familiar enough with any names or titles. I liked the sound of the titles including "Foggy Mountain Breakdown," "Kentucky Shuck," and "Train 45." Although I wasn't familiar with the '83 signature, when I Googled Bill Monroe I found out he is known as the Father of Bluegrass.

"Monroe was an American musician who created the style of music known as bluegrass, which takes its name from his band, the "Blue Grass Boys," named for Monroe's home state of Kentucky." Score!

Next was a Lawrence Welk LP, "Winchester Cathedral."


If you read Fractured Facade, you may remember the mention of my grandfather (my father's father) belting out this song. This was purely a memory purchase. The last LP, "The Best of Christmas" was also a memory purchase of the times spent at my grandmother's (my mother's mother) apartment every Christmas Eve with my cousins.


Check out some of the songs and singers --
"Do You Hear What I Hear?" - Bing Crosby
"Late in December" - Jackie Gleason
"I Like a Sleighride" - Peggy Lee
"The Christmas Song" - Nat King Cole
"Silent Night, Holy Night" - Wayne Newton
"The Wassail Song" - Tennessee Ernie Ford
"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" - Ella Fitzgerald
"Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" - Dean Martin
"O Holy Night" - The Lettermen
"Little Drummer Boy" - Marlene Dietrich
and many others. A double LP for a buck. Can't wait to transfer it to CD. Score!

Other finds included this 1934 framed cover of "Open Road for Boys" illustrated by Raymond Lufkin.


The cover appealed to me for two reasons -- the words Sentimental Cyclone on the bottom right. Just like the way it reads and rolls off the tongue, and figure one day I'll use those two words in a story, or as a title. This was $1 too.

The last find from the fleabag was this New York World's Fair Unisphere ash tray.



I was at that World's Fair and figured paying a quarter for the memory was well worth it. My wrists started to ache from the plastic bags cutting off the circulation. I had to have all bags on one arm as the other arm carried a $2 cork board that I really needed for the story I'm working on. Going old-school, by using hand-written colored index cards that I could easily manipulate for my scenes. Anyway, it was not heavy, but it was awkward, so I decided to head on home.

But first, hunger called, so I decided to stop downtown and check out that New York deli that opened up. I really wanted a knish, but they didn't have any left. I was glad to see their cold cuts were all Boar's Head, but I really wasn't in the mood for a sandwich so was going to pass and then I saw this:


I lived on these cookies in high school. They were a quarter for a pack of three. I paid $1 and hoped they tasted like I remembered. They did. I also bought this:


I will let you know if it tastes like a real New York one, but I don't have high hopes as all the black & whites I ever bought were from bakeries, and not plastic packages. But, I'll give it a shot and if it does, then today was truly a major score Saturday.





No comments:

Post a Comment